Skip to Content
Bundren Law Firm P.C. Bundren Law Firm P.C.

Understanding Interstate Adoption in Oklahoma

Serving Families Throughout Tulsa
Adopting a child

Can I Adopt a Child from a Different State?

If you are looking to expand your family through adoption, you may be wondering if your search is limited to Oklahoma. The good news is that you can adopt a child from any state thanks to the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC).

Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC)

The ICPC is an agreement that establishes procedures to ensure the stability and safety of child placement across state lines. This agreement requires that the family seeking adoption complies with the laws of their home state as well as the state the child lives in.

The states exchange information through ICPC administrators who review the information for compliance with state laws.

If you are thinking about an interstate adoption, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Initiate the process with a home study request and create a packet that includes an ICPC 100-A form and information regarding the child’s needs.
  2. The child’s agency will then send the packet to the ICPC administrator in the child’s state. They will review the packet and forward it to the administrator in your state.
  3. Your state’s administrator will review the information and forward it to your adoption agency.
  4. Your adoption agency will conduct a home study and make recommendations about the suitability of placing the child with you. The administrators in both states will then review the home study and recommendations.
  5. If the child is placed with you, the role of ensuring the child’s needs are met will be transferred to your adoption agency. They will provide periodic reports to the child’s original agency through the administrators.
  6. The child’s original state will retain the financial and legal responsibility of the child until you legally adopt them.

A Dedicated Interstate Adoption Attorney

At Bundren Law Firm P.C., our compassionate adoption attorney can successfully walk you through your interstate adoption. We will work with you and ICPC agencies to help you grow your family.

Call our family law firm today at (918) 992-3300 or contact us online to schedule your appointment.

Additional Reading

Share To: