Skip to Content
Bundren Law Firm P.C. Bundren Law Firm P.C.

Are Children of a Deceased Parent Entitled to Inherit a Grandparent’s Estate?

Serving Families Throughout Tulsa

Life is complicated, and death can make it even more complicated. This is especially the case when a member of one generation in a family passes away before an older generation.

Regrettably, parents are at times forced to bury their children, and sometimes those children leave behind children of their own. Eventually, however, that older generation will also pass away, which can leave some questions about what happens to their children’s inheritance if they aren’t around to claim it.

In most cases, questions about inheritance can be answered by referring to the deceased’s will. If the grandparents wish to pass on property to their grandchildren that their own deceased child would have received, they can make such wishes known in their will.

But at Bundren Law Firm, we help clients who are already involved in the probate process. That means any legally valid will that exists at the time probate is filed is likely to be the document that guides inheritance. If a grandparent didn’t account for their grandchildren in their will, then it’s entirely possible they will not receive an inheritance.

That said, there is an opportunity for grandchildren to inherit their grandparents’ property if the latter died without a will. Due to intestate succession, any property from a grandparent’s estate that would pass on to a deceased parent would pass on to their children.

Although dying without a will is anything but ideal, it happens. It can also be a complicated and confusing legal process to handle on your own. That’s why you should always seek legal counsel to assist you with the probate process associated with any loved one’s estate.

At Bundren Law Firm, we are happy to assist clients through these difficult times and provide the legal guidance they need to make sense of it all. For more information about how we can help you, please get in touch with us today!

You can reach out to our attorney online or by calling (918) 992-3300 for help.