Skip to Content
Bundren Law Firm P.C. Bundren Law Firm P.C.

How to Modify a Child Custody Agreement

Serving Families Throughout Tulsa

Family law courts often attempt to be as fair as possible when making child custody decisions. Whether a judge has split physical custody between the parents or awarded one parent physical custody and the other visitation rights, the court will usually decide based on the child’s best interest. Because of this criterion, courts can often be reluctant to modify a child custody agreement. However, they can and do make regular adjustments to child custody if a parent has experienced a significant change in his or her life.

For example, if a parent loses their job, they may not be able to pay anything in child support, but they are more at liberty to babysit a child rather than rely on expensive child care services. Alternatively, if a person changed jobs and has significantly different work hours, they might not be able to meet the visitation or child custody arrangements anymore.

Whatever the case, usually courts will want to see proof of a substantial shift in a parent’s life before a judge will grant a modification. You can begin the process by submitting a Motion to Modify Custody Order form to the same court from which the original order was issued. In this motion, you must present the reason for the change.

After filing, a hearing will be set to where both parties can provide evidence and make arguments if one parent doesn’t agree to the change. During this time, you must present significant evidence on your own behalf. Alternatively, a skilled Tulsa family law attorney can act as your representative and make the argument for you. If the court finds there are sufficient grounds for a modification, it will grant the request.

If you’re interested in whether or not your case qualifies for a modification, talk to our experienced attorney today. Bundren Law Firm P.C. is dedicated to helping families find the best solutions to their legal problems. Let us see what we can do for you.

Contact us at (918) 992-3300 or fill out our online form to schedule a case consultation today.

Additional Reading

Share To: